BBC food has a really good recipe for a vegan brownie but I’ve made some changes that are below.
- 170g self-raising flour
- 3 heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 170g/6oz brown sugar
- 5 tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing (melt before hand)
- 230ml bonsoy soya milk or for a nutty taste I added almond milk when I made the second time
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 gm walnuts – broken into halves/thirds – save some full ones
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Grease and flour a 20cm/8in square cake tin with some of the coconut oil.
In a bowl sift together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and sugar.
Add the oil, soya milk and vanilla extract, and mix carefully together until completely mixed.
- Add walnuts and mix well
Pour into the tin, and bake for about 25 minutes, until the brownies spring back when gently pressed.
- Place walnuts on the top as if when you cut each brownie will have a whole walnut on top of your piece
Leave to cool for five minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.