Fluffy buckwheat pancake recipe
I can’t believe that it has been nearly 7 years since I first published my recipe for whole food plant based buckwheat pancakes, and it is still one of my favourite recipes.
Recently, Vineeta decided that she would mix things up and make pancakes for me, but not the same pancakes. She wanted to make fluffy pancakes! They are not quite as healthy as they do contain some oil, but damn are these good!
This recipe is adapted from a Minimalist Baker recipe. They are still made from buckwheat, but the fluffiness seems to come from the use of Chia.
Ingredients ~ 6 pancakes
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A tiny amount of vanilla
- A flax and chia egg (mix 2tsp of flax powder + 1tsp of chia seeds + 5tbsp warm water – whisk and set aside for 3 minutes to settle).
- 4 or 5 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp of non-dairy milk (if needed)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
FOR TOPPING optional
- Berries / Fruit
- Maple syrup
- Toasted almond flakes
- Almond butter
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas and mash until only small bits remain.
- Then add baking powder and vanilla extract and use a fork or whisk to mash until thoroughly combined.
- Next add the flax and chia mix thoroughly until well combined. Set aside for 2 minutes before adding the baking powder to do is magic.
- Now, add the buckwheat flour one tablespoon at a time until it forms a thick but scoopable batter (thicker than your average pancake batter). If you add too much flour, add a little dairy-free milk to thin. I used soya milk.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add a little cooking oil to coat the pan. Then spoon in roughly 3- tablespoons of batter per pancake, or a small ladle, and reduce heat to low. These benefit from cooking slower and lower than your average pancakes. Cover with a lid to help the center cook through.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, then remove lid and flip carefully. Cook for 3-4 minutes more (lowering heat as needed if cooking too fast) or until the underside is golden brown.
- To serve, top with desired toppings, such as nut butter, toasted almond flakes blueberries/fruit and maple syrup.
That’s it. Enjoy!
Posted by Vineeta on 23 May 2020
No comments yet.
Be the first one.